JOHN'S Garage

JOHN'S Garage
Practical thoughts for everyday!

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

My Friend



Practically Speaking
By C. Wayne Childers

My Friend

A young girl "de-petals" a flower one at a time. "He loves me." "He loves me not." This cadence is repeated until the "petal-less" stem is naked. She is relieved that the chant ended with "He loves me." That is good to know.

George Strait sang the song about a boy who passed a note to a girl he admired. She was given the option of checking "yes" or "no" to the question of "Do you love me? Do you want to be my friend?" The song also had a happy ending. She checked "yes." That is good to know.

I hate to pop your bubble but did you know that some people are not going to love you and are not going to be your friend? That is right. The petal reveals, "he loves me not" and the box is checked with a big fat "NO."

It happened to Jesus, the babe of Christmas. Many did not love him and many refused to be his friend, even those who claimed to be his friend. Jesus responded by working around them to complete His purpose. He tolerated some and challenged the most religious. He did what His father said, he conducted His "Father's business." At the same time He trained eleven and focused on the three and then the one, Peter. His focus was not a human report card but the Divine "Yes." God was pleased and that was all that mattered.

The truth is that Jesus has made His decision. "He loves me." He checked "YES." He wants to be my friend. That is also true for you.

I like the song by that name; "What a friend we have in Jesus." The last section of that song says: "Do thy friends despise, forsake you? ... In his arms He'll take and shield you ... You will find a solace there." I know that solace today.

So that is what friends do. They shield you in their arms. They provide solace. Friends are few but cherished but none of them are like Jesus. He's that one closer than a brother. You are not heavy to him. What a friend!



No comments: