JOHN'S Garage

JOHN'S Garage
Practical thoughts for everyday!

Monday, December 16, 2013

Practically Speaking
By C. Wayne Childers

No Comparison

My daughter posted a quote by CS Lewis that resonated with me today. It is, 
"Comparison is the thief of joy." This statement is especially true at Christmas time. So many parents stress out over wanting to please their children so much that they go overboard in trying to get them what "everybody else" has. The standard of "everyone else" is never attained in this lifetime. Wants and needs have to be measured against values. "What do I want my children to value?" should be the question.

I discovered that there is a popular doll that "every" little girl "wants" but it is quite expensive. Some can get the doll with no stretch, but I understand that it is just an 18" doll. The clothes made for it will fit any 18" doll, even one bought for $2 at a thrift store. What should a parent do if they cannot afford the doll? Don't buy it and don't feel guilty. Be creative. Give yourself. Give values. Teach financial responsibility. Listen to a different drummer. No one is superior just because they can purchase a certain doll. Teach that to your children. No one is inferior if they can't.

There is a principle in scripture that helps me. We are reminded that comparisons of this nature "miss the point." 

"We’re not, understand, putting ourselves in a league with those who boast that they’re our superiors. We wouldn’t dare do that. somewhat tongue in cheek) But in all this comparing and grading and competing, they quite miss the point." (2 Corinthians 10:12 MSG)

Comparison is a thief. It will steal your joy. You are you. You are the you that God created. You are where you are. In most situations, that will not change. Contentment is the opposite of comparison. It does not mean that you never seek to do better. It does not mean you set aside all ambition. It does mean that you learn when enough is enough.

Paul nailed it again,

"... for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, weather it is ... with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:11-13 NLT)

If you give from these values there is no comparison. There is no guilt. You can welcome joy again to your Christmas celebration.


Sent from my iPad

No comments: