JOHN'S Garage

JOHN'S Garage
Practical thoughts for everyday!

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

He Was Great



The greatest generation lost another one in March but he was not just another one to me. He was my father-in-law. His name was John Roaten. As you can see, he served in the army air force during WW II.

He was a prude. Yes, he did not have a clue about the importance of the sexual revolution. He did not even like watching ladies underwear commercials on television. He was a lover of Israel and a Ronald Regan republican. He read his bible completely every year and you could tell because the bible he used was bound with clear tape.

He was boring. He just worked, went to church, loved his wife and children, tithed faithfully and gave occasionally to Jews for Jesus. He was shy. He was introverted to a certain extent. He did not do anything "great." He understood much trivia in the bible.

He was also a whimp. Yes, he did dishes. He also washed clothes, planted flowers, ran the vacuum and cooked occasionally. Not a real man. Not a real man? You be the judge.

He was never in prison, only had a few trafic violations, supported people in the ministry, had children and grandchildren who all know Jesus. Well except for Macon, my grandaughter, who is 16 months. He was a prude, was boring, was a whimp. He is one of a kind and we need more like him.

You understand I am only speaking tongue in cheek. He was what many of us need to be. He was a man of principle. He was a man of focus. He was a man who stood for the values of the greatest generation. I will never be that good. However, I want to try. I am better because he lived.

I miss him every day. I am sad. I am depressed thinking of him. However, I am motivated. I did the dishes and mowed the grass today because of thinking of him. Thanks John for the motivation today.

No comments: