JOHN'S Garage

JOHN'S Garage
Practical thoughts for everyday!

Monday, February 16, 2009

Goals For The New Week

This summer I went to Six Flags with our students. One of my men suggested I ride with him on one of the more aggressive personal torture chambers that spin, twist and go upside down called a "ride." I did it. All I can say is that when I touched the ground the first words out of my mouth were "I'm glad that is over."

Today I am glad that Sunday is over. It was quite a ride for me emotionally. Marriage counseling, preaching without Laurie present (she was on call and had to go to work), an intervention with a family in the community, two emotion filled meetings (at least for me they were) that I made it through without a major blow up* (my goal) and finally home to bed and the continuing episode of the Unit.

I am going to a peer learning community monthly meeting today. I am currently reading the assignment and answering the thought questions. I want to get back to a more consistent work out. Last week only two days. The week before only two days in five. I want to get back to at least three days. Today is the key.

However, I want to rethink Sunday. There were some things that happened that were encouraging. One, a couple, young couple, came in just before the evening meeting and she had made Laurie and I a care package. It was a basket with a candle, book, fuzzy bear and a card of appreciation. A gift first to come from this couple. It was a surprise. I did not know I meant so much to them. Also, I received a call from a former Heroin addict that our church "helped." We had some hard words at one time. I thought I alienated her. She used us at one time and I was gullible. She was saying thank you and telling me she was moving to Montana to be with her daughter and grandchildren. I will call her today that I am in a better frame of mind. I also think I helped to save some students from a potentially devastating if not life threatening situation. It created suffering for me, (I am hated) but hopefully help for them. We will see.

I received affirmation at the dreaded meetings from a person whose opinion is my litmus test for my current ministry. Someone with my backside. I also see God working through a process with His facilities at the church. Perhaps "Upwards Basketball." Yea. The jury is out.

This week I plan to do some sermon planning on Tuesday (I am not preaching this week). I finished Acts on Sunday evening and will decide what to do next. I also plan to get the printed material information to Chuck for the outreach in March. That will take some time. I will also work on follow-up on the scheduled appearances at the schools and neighborhoods. I am seeking about two men to represent our church at a meeting on Thursday. I am also wanting to visit some of our neglected nursing home people. In addition to that I would like to enlist at least 20 people to make 10 calls each to invite people to the revival with George Brock on Sunday.

Personally I want to do Andrew's taxes and start on mine. Get information for Jack on his taxes, a painful experience because of the down turn in the market. I have to once again suffer the losses for the year. I will take off on Wednesday with Laurie. She is going to Texas for a shower for our daughter on Sunday. I can't go. I want to read Romans, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. I would also like to play golf on one day.

This entire hodgepodge has helped me to think about the week. I am content.



* I had to get up a few times and get more water or go to the bathroom to force my mind to go other places.

No comments: