JOHN'S Garage

JOHN'S Garage
Practical thoughts for everyday!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

We Are Home

We made it home and are in a time of transition (jet lag) whatever it is called. I worked yesterday and am preparing for work today. Laurie just left. We are both wide awake at 4 a.m. and are trying to get our bodies into the right time zone. I know it will happen.

Today I get to go to a pastors conference, see my senior adults at Jolly Elders and will try to make some visits. I will also work on catching up on e-mail. There are a few fires that developed but that is to be expected with people. I also have an article to write and need to make a few phone calls to some key leaders.

The experience in the Philippines was greater than we expected. The best thing about it is that we knew that we were supposed to be there. It was God's will for us at this time.

Negative experences related to customer service issues we had with the credit card company as we tried to purchase a copy machine for CRI Philippines. The machine was not bought. We will have to wire the money.

Then there was this ticket agent in LAX for Frontier Airlines who decided to chide us for being in the wrong line preparing for a 6 a.m. flight on Sunday. I was not in the mood and we had a discussion. I have sent a complaint. I just wish all things could go smoothly. They were understaffed but that was not my problem. Usually I am pretty tollerant but this was more than I could take. We had been there since 4:30 a.m. It was a jungle. I wish I could always respond without too much emotion. I am still working on that but it is a lifetime work in progress I guess.

Home is reality. Grass was not mowed because the mower would not start. Lauries bushes she had just planted looked like sage brush. They were dead. The mileage on my honda indicated that it is time to change my oil and I just decided a few months ago to change my own oil to give the saving to missions. It is raining here and mowing even if the mower would start is not possible. So we have to wait with tall grass. That is an annoyance. We still have a bathroom that needs trim work finished and I have a shower that needs new washers in the faucet.

And for church, we are seeking to change the paradigm from preserving the past to confronting the future and engaging the culture. It is a battle. It is the new wineskins to replace the old. Buildings and things relating to them have killed more churches than any doctrinal dispute. We have a battle but I think we have the resources in people to meet the challenge. We are seeking to look through the windshield rather than the rear view mirror. It is all about people.

Also I came home to the death of one of our most special ladies. Pauline White (the General) died yesterday morning. Her funeral is Thursday. This has been coming for a few months but none of us are ready for it. I also discovered that another of our ladies died while I was gone. Life and death happens.

Well where do I go from here? I go to work today. I am leaving after posting this. I will go there and face whatever comes to me. It is a choice I am making today. God is in charge and he has gifted and trained me for a time as this. I will study for Sunday. I will make some calls, receive some calls, send and receive some e-mail. I will pray. I will seek to share Jesus. I will walk with Him. I will focus on the broad picture no matter how much people will try to force me to focus on trivia. I will focus on reaching new people. I will focus on ministering to those who need me most. I will delegate to others so I am free to do what is my duty today. God send laborers to the harvest today. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments: